Monday, November 20, 2017

Window Sash Restoration...

Getting a window to go from this to this. Is a lot of work and through the spring/summer I managed to get four of the seven windows in the parsonage fully restored. 

 You have to completely remove the sash, strip the inside and outside of the sash, repair any damage and then you can glaze.

Reinstalling the glass, fully clean and then you can glaze. Now the glaze takes about two weeks to cure.

Then you can rehang them, of course with new rope for the weights.

Though lets not forget about the interior trim, that needs to be stripped and cleaned...then repaired...

In the end though, it is worth it. But you will notice, you still need to use a safety scrapper to scrape the over paint on the glass but leaving just a hair to protect the glaze.

Time to tear off the front....


Yes that is a hole in the front of the parsonage. We started at the worst corner first. Everything from the windows to joist need to be touched in one way or another. After we replaced the front rim joist/mud seal with a beam we never really replaced in of the rot in the front wall. We need to replace every stud, some of the top plate and pull the window out to relevel it on this corner. Hints to all the salvage we did on the one addition on that home.

Remnants of one of the vines.

Forgot to mention, we drug out another large old beam from the crawl space. There were/are four of these that were added to hold up the floors after the joist rotted away from the rim joist/sills.

Slowly adding new studs.

Window missing now..

AH! Window frame in and some new old siding showing up!

More siding but now the left door is out for rebuilding.

More wood siding replacing the temporary vinyl...

All the siding up and slowly adding the lower fascia back!

In June the sashes started to make a return...

And in July a almost fully restored door....

May! Time to Paint!!!

The window may not be restored yet but the prep is all done on this we prime n paint!



Great back drop for our flower arrangement, gathered from the annual trip to the grave yard..

More primer..

Getting closer

Holly COW!!! Look at this! Even with out the windows restored or new fascia, is this the same place?

A nice before for you!

Spring is offically here!

We plant Big Al our Blue Spruce between the church and parsonage and shortly after we had a family of Robins move in. All spring we got to watch the family grow up it was great!

We built the Butterfly house, a teepee to grow our Lemon Cucumbers on.

The garden is sprouting!

Things are blooming everywhere....

Other April tidbits...


We started sistering up all the rafter tails, since I made a vow to close up the eaves before winter on the parsonage this was mandatory. It was a PITA as I was laying on plywood in the attach and had to jack up the roof in order to get the 2x4's sister and I had Brandon cut the sizes that I needed. We eventually got it all done. Though we still have some to do on the left side of the parsonage.


The window restoration challenge also began. Here you can see my temporary window, it is an old storm window fashioned to some one bys. This works great while I have the others out. Then you can see some of the challenges of attempting to remove the glass. This sash was so bad that I just gave up on it.

It's April!!

And its back to Salvaging! The neighbor who bought on of the six homes that was demolished, said we could take what every we need...Not good!


So probably over the next month we took the entire addition off the home. We needed all the lap/clap siding to rebuild the front of the house and all the studs to also rebuild the front of the parsonage.

We got siding, studs, old one by's, windows and anything else that we could use.


We also got brick, lots n lots n lots of brick! One of my Fav finds are these huge sandstone steps, these will be the steps onto the new porch for the parsonage when ever we get to that point.

We were also getting so much stuff in the church, we could barely walk in and so I started organizing!