Friday, March 18, 2016

There goes the porch.....


Now this leads me to my worst problem and I mean WORST....Remember I mentioned, about the crooked casings? And rotted beams...and well those are all small compared to this....When we took the porch down, we noticed a ton of termites...Which isn't good and so, even though I didn't want to start this until we were in out of the church and the roof over there repaired...We'll I started....


I got a new toy, a sledge hammer and so we went to work...Figuring worse case, we'll use the rear door if we move in.....At first I seen this...


I was all like...WOW there is a brick patio under here....Oh I wish I was that lucky...


These photos are what scared me! You see, that is dirt under the floor...This is the dividing wall and wall between the two front doors. Putting a rod down there, hit no foundation! That is scary! But why?? If you look at the first photo, you will see how oddly the concrete comes up under the sill...

  

Here after the concrete is removed and door sill, you can see how far the dirt is up! Scary!! And still no sign of a foundation!


 

Here you can see I found the foundation....but it ended, where I put the rubble pier support and I found a sandstone block...I assumed that meant the original sandstone foundation would follow. The next day I discovered the foundation didn't stop and that I had found the original crawl space entrance...WOW...This means I don't have to cut a new one...

So here is the jest of what happened, it appears, that this side of the house has been sagging for quite some time....and that someone opted to build up the porch wall and infill with TONS of rubble, apply dirt and push this all over the foundation wall BUT after they crawled under and supported the rotted joist and beams with rubbish.....They then opted to pour concrete over this and above the foundation...This "mixture" add with moister from rain and a leaking roof created the perfect environment for termites....plus....rot...They then took over, destroying the wall, beams, joist and what ever else tasted good....Now I have to "fix" all this mess!!

We still have a quarter of the concrete to remove, then we have to start a rubble pile, then we have to finish digging out the pit and then we have to regrade the front of the house. Then I can support the header(if solid)...Then I can rebuild the sill....hmm this sounds like I won't have time for other projects this summer...UGH....Oh I forgot, I still have to dig out the crawl space...

One odd thing, the universe likes to throw at me....Is when I scream out, I wish I could find something...even a marble besides all this rubble! She answers back...Yesterday, while digging....I found a green marble! Though it is cracked it is green! and we all know yesterday was St Patrick's Day....