Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Daffodil Thief....

Well I consider myself a rescuer of Daffodil's :P 

 

Well I had to do something creative, it seems like all we've been doing is burning crap and demo'ing crap. Trying to lesson our piles, and show what I eventually hope to create here...I built our first raise planter! With all this rubble, that I just can't toss in a trash can and extra dirt. This is the best solution! You can see behind, I still had a TON of rubble, some dirt and well there is always more! But I really need a wheel barrow to help build another one..


I had some pots of plants, that I had brought with me that I really needed to get into the ground and then the abandon house in front of me had a whole array of bulbs coming up. I first planted all that I had to plant, and then I was like....I am going to go grab some stuff across the street, on a just total whim and I took my shovel...went on over! I did it just in time, because here comes the mowers! And over everything they went...

There are HUGE patches of bulbs across the street, I thought most were Daffodils but none of the patches bloomed. I then assumed it was because they were cut down before the foliage could replenish the bulbs and I was right on a few as the bulbs were oh so tiny....but the majority of the daffodils had huge bulbs and leaves! To the point I was thinking they were Amaryllis, after I dug up a clump...I could clearly tell they were Daffodils of some sort??? The bulbs were literally ontop of one another, I imagine they haven't been divided since being planted many many moons ago and maybe this is what kept them from flowering?? It is just very odd! I quickly ran out of room and will save the rest for summer digging after the foliage has died back, I just can't leave them over there to die off...I will leave a few but there is soooo many bulbs that I need to make a huge patch of them....Maybe in a few years, I will get blooms? Hard to say... 

So in the planter so far, I have a rose, a baby pine tree, daffodils, grape hyacinths, hyacinths, peony, iris, aster, shasta daisy, mum, gladiola, amaryllis, and azalea. I will dig for my annual seeds that are somewhere and add some more later on.


Oh our list of Church inhabitants, I can now add a Luna Moth to it! We were getting ready to go take a shower and I seen a shadow on the blind, my your a big thing! I turned it around to see this! I kept hearing something tapping on the glass at night, and I had no idea what it was. I know bet it was this gal. We took him/her outside and place em on the blue spruce....When it got night, it was gone! I am hoping that its lifespan wasn't up. It only lives for about a week, doesn't feed and simply mates....lays eggs and then dies...They say they are pretty common but not often seen. It was a gorgeous find!

 
Oh the demo'ing side, we got the pit of doom cleared out finally! Still need to get in and level it....then dig into the crawl space. I also got the clapper installed back into the Blymyer Bell. I scared a few kids with it, when I opted to ring it...Oh how fun and annoying this will be! 


Right now, I've been ripping more siding off the church, and I don't really want to do it. I really want to save this place, but it needs a roof like now and we don't have the monies. We had hoped to have Lowe's install the roof but were informed today, that they don't do structure and simply shingles....Well that blows! and how do they know no structure will need to be touched? I imagine many things can't be known until you rip off the old roof but oh well...Our only other hope, is to get a mortgage/loan and we will see about that shortly I am sure. For now I wanted to rip off the vinyl, Styrofoam, clapboard and water table trim on an attempt to allow the sills/walls to dry out. The sills aren't as bad as the house, thank god! but they still need patching and there is still termites floating around...I really hope as the wood drys, they just go away...there are plenty of more houses, rotting around us that they can go eat on...Oh you can also see, there is some shaved trim on the church too...I doubt I will ever figure out what the trim looked like, that ran along the water table but maybe I can just replace it with a generic something or another but when I ever reach a point that I can start trim replacement and painting....is anyone's guess...I actually considering in the back of my head, well maybe I should just salvage the church and use the funds to rebuild the home...A thought...but one that can be considered if we can't find the funds to restore the roof before it collapses in on itself...