Sunday, March 6, 2016

I have coffeee!!!!!


If I am counting right, I have now official discovered 7!! coffee pots here and well I "think" I may end up hanging onto them all. Today I finally made my first cup of coffee for almost two weeks! Andddd I made it just like grandma would, with a percolator! This also got me energized for work!!


Of course, while waiting for coffee....I couldn't sit still...So I pulled down a piece of paneling in the breezeway...I love funky retro 70's decor...but just not in a 1860's building...And what did I find...a signature!! So happy!! We were hoping to uncover a date but sadly there is a repair...and it starts right where the date is!! ERRRRR We were hoping it was just a skim coat...but nope :(...I hope to uncover another one, but 99% of our plaster is gone :( turned back into sand and lime...many years down the road, if the church is still standing...We'll need to replace it all with dry wall...Unless we can find some college willing to train students here...That would be fantastic! Removing all the plaster, will allow us to come up to the 21st century...We plan to spray foam everything, install new electrical with outlets! and period lighting. We haven't figured if we'll go with 1867 lighting, or 1910's lighting from when the church was electrified...Maybe by then we'll have some photos...We'll also be able to plumb, and add an upstairs three piece bathroom in what is now a closet...


After coffee...I got myself into high gear...We are expecting rain, and well the floors are saturated with water, from years of a leaking roof. The 1974 carpet and vinyl siding also doesn't help with moister issues. It was amazing, just a few hours of having this stuff and carpet off the ground...the floor was drying!!..As you can see, the sad sad sad part...Is that are near 150 year old heart of pine flooring is in BAD shape...This will be a big project, to try and located salvage flooring, rip up all this and attempt to salvage what we can...Plus I will loose all the original patina...That I so much love! The good thing is, we got to the stage before it buckled and hopefully it will re shrink as it drys...Maybe our mold issues will fad too...Of course a new roof will solve all this...I believe we got here, just in time...I don't think the flooring could take much more water...Now at least the water will drain to the basement and the wood will dry out...no more carpet to hold it in...


I did grab a photo, of the only original door hardware of the church...I believe this door is original. It is to the breezeway closet...I find it odd, that the key hole, is inside the closet and the mechanism out....Maybe this was so they could more easily lock the bad kids in during church services :p It is a Corbin lock..One day I will get one off and see about dating it.

I also started a face book page about the church as well, figured I might be able to get a few followers....time will tell...I am really falling in love with this place, and I look forward to a day I will be able to afford materials for repairs...or better yet the roof!! or even better...a working shower/bath for us!! We aren't to far away from that...Once my partner lands a job, will be able figure out what we can afford to spend on what...I really wish disability would kick in for me...just that little bit would help out...I was think, hmm maybe I will get buff again and be able to find employment...Then a nerve in my knee became pinched and when I sat on the stoop...I could get straight again...